Sunday, March 6, 2022

Around St. Louis

 


There are a lot of things to see and do in St. Louis but I'm sure the most well known is the Gateway Arch.  

I took the these two photos back in the 90's when I was temporarily working in St. Louis.  This was the view out the window of my small apartment.















After you've visited the Arch, head over to Forest Park to visit the St. Louis Art Museum.  It's a beautiful museum with a wonderful collection and an inspiring variety of special exhibits.  In the photo of the outside you can see King Louis IX of France leading the charge in front of the museum.  He is the namesake for the city of St. Louis.


Another fun place to visit is the Anheuser-Busch Brewery.  After parking in the lot, you might be greeted by one of the majestic Clydesdale horses.  They are magnificent creatures and they are pampered like the royalty they are.




St. Louis has a vast array of interesting architecture.  There are so many buildings I admired and the 22nd Judicial Circuit Court Building (to the left) is one of them.

The campus of Washington University (above) also has some unique architecture. 














The last place I'll list to visit is the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis.  The beauty of this church would rival almost any grand church around the world.  I did a post about this incredible building a few years ago.  You can see it here.  The inside is worth seeing.  













3 comments:

Andy said...

I drove past the Gateway Arch once on my back to Canada... but looking at your photos today makes me wish I had stopped and taken the tour.

Travel said...

That was an amazing view. I attended an after hours private party in the arch a few years ago, complete with elevator rides to the top. The zoo in the park, has one of the best penguin displays in the world, the entire space is about 35 degrees, and there is no glass wall between the people and the birds, just a waist high barrier. The sounds and the smells are vivid.

William Kendall said...

I'd love to see the city someday.