Sunday, August 29, 2021

Through the Decades

 

I've been to the Grand Canyon many, many times and not just after I moved to Arizona.  I visited the canyon at least twice before I moved to the state.  Above is a scanned slide that dates back to the mid-60's.  I was probably still in school when these were taken on one of our family vacations.


Here is one of my dad posing as he gazes out over the vast expanse of the canyon.  


And here is another shot showing the touring helicopter.  I'm wasn't sure they did these helicopter tours any longer so I checked and sure enough, you can book a ride over and through the canyon if you want.




These next four photos were taken one Thanksgiving Day when I joined my sister and her husband for Thanksgiving dinner at El Tovar Lodge at the Grand Canyon.  















It had been snowing already at the canyon so it was fun for me coming from Phoenix to get a little taste of winter.  There was even enough snow for someone to have made a snowman.


There was so much fog in the air, it was difficult to make out all the different layers the canyon usually displays.  It also gave the canyon a mysterious, shrouded look.


The last time I was at the canyon was a couple of years ago on a very hot day in July.  It was easy to see all the layers and colors of the canyon on that visit.



Standing on the rim and looking into the canyon is a unique experience.  I remember my very first visit, it took a few minutes for my young mind to grasp the sheer size of the place.  In fact, I think my very first, teenage thought was "what's the big deal".  About 30 minutes later I was just as speechless as everyone else staring over the edge.


On this last trip, my dad wasn't around to pose while looking into the canyon.  However I did spot this young lady posing for shot.  I hope that photo turned out well and she keeps it over the years to come.


6 comments:

Sami said...

Beautiful photos of the Grand Canyon.

Catarina said...

I have never visited the place.

Travel said...

I was there twice in the middle 60's, in March, on my sister birthday. And I have been back twice as an adult, in the late 80's and about 15 years ago. I am still astounded by the landscape, the colors, the light and shadow.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It is indeed an awesome sight Sharon, spectacular series of shots. There is no way I could take one of those helicopter rides 😉

William Kendall said...

A place of magnificence. I would love to see it some day.

Catalyst said...

In that photo of your dad, he appears to be holding a very young baby in his left arm. Could that be true? As for the last photo, it always gives me the creeps to see a young person out at the very edge posing, especially while wearing flip-flops.