Sunday, June 6, 2021

A Little Touch of Egypt in California

 

I was recently thinking about the trip I made to San Jose California about 7 years ago to visit the Rosecrucian Egyptian Museum.  I flew up to San Jose in the morning, visited the museum and flew back home in the evening just to visit this excellent museum.  I remembered how much I loved the way the museum and grounds make you feel like you are in a foreign country that has somehow been dropped right into the heart of a California town.

I did a post about the museum here and another here featuring some of the exhibits inside.  Thinking about the museum made me wish I could visit this exotic place again.  So I looked through my photos and found a few more that show just how interesting this place is.


The main museum building looks like an ancient Egyptian temple, but one that hasn't been plundered and abandoned. Indeed, it looks very well cared for.  So well cared for that you might expect to see a Pharaoh come strolling through those golden doors.


There are several buildings on the property and all of them have been designed to replicate temples from Egypt.  




































One of the buildings holds the tomb of the founder of Rosicruscian Egyptian Museum, Harvey Spencer Lewis.  He is considered the founder in the USA and the First Imperator of the Ancient and Mystical Order Rosae Crucis.  


The museum holds the largest collection of ancient Egyptian antiquities in the western United States.  Anyone who is fascinated by ancient Egypt will enjoy a visit to this wonderful museum.  I might have to make another visit one day soon.


5 comments:

Travel said...

Pretty and as close as I am likely to get, not sure I will ever see Egypt, the politics of that region are scary

William Kendall said...

I would enjoy seeing that.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I can see why you loved this visit Sharon, beautifully presented. Aimee and I went to Egypt about nine years ago, gosh how time flies, it was unbelievably fascinating.. not sure how safe it would be today which is a shame because they rely on tourism.

Catalyst said...

Fascinating! I had no idea that such a place existed. I enjoyed the Egyptian exhibits in the British Museum in London and suspect I would equally enjoy visiting here.

Revrunner said...

Someone spent a lot of time laying this place out. So many interesting views!