Sunday, October 25, 2020

The Inns of Court

 

When I was in London back in 2016, I spent quite a bit of time wandering around the areas of London where the legal profession congregates.  The area encompasses  the "Inns of Court", four professional organizations for English barristers.  The four are Gray's Inn, Lincoln's Inn and Middle and Inner Temple. All barristers must belong to one of these four organizations and many professional offices or chambers are housed in this area.  Above is Wildy & Sons who sell and publish law books.


If you've ever watched any British television shows that feature lawyers, you might recognize some of the scenes in my photos.  They have been used as backdrops in many television and movie productions.


In enjoyed a break from all my walking in this spot and I enjoyed watching all the professionals walking back and forth carrying files and books.  I hoped to see one rushing by in their 'robes' but I didn't spot any.  


I was thrilled to find the "undercroft" below the Lincoln's Inn Chapel.  It is another area I had seen in many movies and shows.  


In the window of one building was a scene advertising the barrister and judicial wigs that are made by Ede & Ravenscroft, tailors to the legal profession.  I did a post about that store here.


I totally enjoyed this area of London and the next time I visit, I'll walk around here again.  It's a great place to people watch.  I was impressed with the numerous gardens all around these professional buildings.  Next week I'll have a post about those beautiful gardens.  



3 comments:

Travel said...

A very neat area. A friend of mine was invited for lunch an Lincoln's last year.

Catalyst said...

Lovely to see London looking like London should.

William Kendall said...

Wonderful shots. I've heard of this place before.