Sunday, September 27, 2020

The Walt Disney Concert Hall


 

I feel like great architecture rivals great art in its ability to impress, inspire and exhilarate.  

When I was in Los Angeles during the summer of 2018, I made a point of locating the Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles.  I'm a huge fan of Frank Gehry's work ever since I saw the Weisman Art Museum in Minneapolis and the Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Chicago.  His designs seem to defy logic but in a way that is alluring and charismatic.











I remember driving into the downtown area and wondering how such an architecturally challenging building could exist among all the skyscrapers all around me.  Then I saw it sitting on a corner and thoroughly dominating the scene.  Can you see how the name "Walt Disney Concert Hall" has been subtly etched into the stainless steel to the right of the entrance?



Gehry designs provide the viewer (and the photographer) with an endless supply of abstract view points.  
I recently discovered that Gehry designed a skyscraper in New York City that I haven't seen.  That will be on my list along with a clinic in Las Vegas that looks fascinating in the photos I've seen.  A Frank Gehry tour around the world would be a great objective.  If only there was the time and money!


3 comments:

Andy said...

The Walt Disney Concert Hall is a very impressive sight. I have never seen anything like it before.

William Kendall said...

That really is thinking outside the box.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

That is a wee bit mind-blowing Sharon, he is brilliant! I so enjoyed seeing this and his building in Sydney last time I was there. He is an architectural genius 💜