Sunday, June 23, 2019

The Ekollon Wine Tasting Experience


Last week I posted about the beautiful garden located at the former home of the founders of Bergstrom Wines.  After exploring the spectacular gardens and enjoying the view, we entered the little house.



Inside the table was all set for our big group of eager tasters. 



The home has been repurposed to create the space for these special tastings where the wine is paired with delicious food.  It was easy to see that we were in for a special treat.





























Each place was beautifully set with the glasses to be used for the various wines and folders for us to take notes and mark our favorites.  This tasting was called the Ekollon Tasting.  "Ekollon" is Swedish for Acorn.  


The meal began with a plate of fresh vegetables that came straight from the kitchen garden I featured last week.  
































After the fresh vegetables, we had a goat cheese and mushroom tart with a leafy green salad.  It was delicious.






























The entree was a bourguignon made with pork instead of beef.  It was so good that I think I'll try making it myself.  I loved the sprinkling of chives and chive flowers on top.






























The entree was followed by a smoked salmon panna cotta with a seaweed chip.  Sounds a bit strange, doesn't it?  Well, let me tell you, it was wonderful.  I enjoyed every mouthful.


The meal ended with delicious, hazelnut filled chocolates in the shape of acorns, of course.


We managed to enjoy all of that delicious food while tasting seven different varieties of Bergstrom wines.  At the end of the table above you see a very special decanter that was created especially for these tastings.  It has a glass acorn in the center bottom of the vessel.  Two people in our group of tasters, ordered one of those special decanters.



It was a tasting experience that I will not soon forget.  The setting in that beautifully decorated house was very special and, of course the garden was a totally unexpected pleasure.  

If you like wines, I think you would enjoy any of the wines that Bergstrom produces and if you are ever touring the Oregon wine country, I highly recommend the Ekollon Tasting.

6 comments:

Andy said...

What a pleasant experience. You make me wish I were there.

William Kendall said...

I wouldn't have thought of pork for bourguinon.

Thérèse said...

The hazelnut acorns are awesome, such an unusual look for a dessert!

diane b said...

Wow what a fabulous experience. I could just eat all that right now .It is dinner time here.

Catalyst said...

I'm tipping my wine-loving pal over in Cambria, California, about this post, Sharon.

Tom Cochrun said...

I am that wine loving pal from California. Thank you for a truly beautiful and magnificent post.
It is just lovely and the food looks so delicious. The founders of Bergstrom Wines entertain marvelously. Lucky you.
We enjoy California variations on this theme. Cheers.