Sunday, January 20, 2019

The Church at the End of the Street


If you have ever been to Santa Fe, you will most likely recognize this church at the end of this street. It is the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi or most commonly called the St. Francis Cathedral.


The church was built between 1869 and 1886 on the site of an older church that was once destroyed, rebuilt and destroyed again.  This church was built by Jean Baptiste Lamy.



Above the altar hangs the San Damiano Crucifix, a replica of one found in Assisi Italy.  Behind the crucifix is a panel filled with paintings of various saints with St. Francis of Assisi in the center.  (He's partially hidden in this photo.)

























On the grounds of the cathedral are several sculptures and monuments.  This one commemorates the first European settlers of New Mexico, the Spanish Colonists of 1598.




























This statue stands at the front entrance to the cathedral and represents Kateri Tekakwitha the first native American of North America to be elevated to a saint.  This statue is the work of sculptor Estella Loretto.

6 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

St Francis is magnificent Sharon, so nice to see the interior. Santa Fe sounds like such a wonderful place to visit ✨

Judy Ryer said...

I always enjoy seeing the various architecture of old churches and this one is a beauty. That's why I like to visit our home town St. Francis when we are there and marvel at all the features inside.
I like the way that cross looks like it's floating.

William Kendall said...

St. Francis is quite impressive!

Lois said...

Beautiful church and I just love the San Damiano Crucifix. I have a small one just like it hanging in my dining room that I purchased in the Westminster Abbey gift shop in London. I have also seen the one in Assisi, Italy. St. Francis is my favorite saint!

Catalyst said...

I've been to Santa Fe once, maybe twice, but I don't remember this church. But it was a long time, I was much younger and wasn't much interested in churches then.

diane b said...

Ive never been there so thank you for showing me the beautiful cathedral