Sunday, December 2, 2018

Water as a Way of Life


I haven't created a post about Venice for quite a while and since the city has been in the news lately, memories of my visit there have started floating into my mind.  If you haven't heard, Venice suffered the worst flooding it's seen in 22 years.  I saw photos in St. Marc's Square with water up to people's waists.  Thankfully when I was there, nothing so devastating happened.  Above is my very first peek at the city as I exited the train station.


I was immediately struck by how busy the canal was with boats heading in every direction.  I had to adjust my thought process to this mode of transportation.  In any other city, it's cars headed in every direction.


And, just like any other city, there were streets...er...canals that were quieter then the main thoroughfare.


The other thing to keep in mind is that there are no cars parked in driveways or garages.  However, there are plenty of boats tied up outside of homes.


Here and there you will spot docking posts that have been painted in bright colors.


One thing I was surprised to find was park-like green spaces.  They are rare but, they are there.


There are also many churches tucked away in quiet corners.


And of course, the occasional "Carnival" shop.


The shops feature beautifully designed and painted masks that will be worn at the annual festivities.


Venice is such a lovely city.  I do hope that scientists and engineers can think of ways to protect it from the devastating effects of global warming.  

7 comments:

Mersad said...

Venice is always busy, but there is a lot to see and you truly have to visit it while it's still there. I also hope that there is a way to preserve the city for the future.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

biebkriebels said...

Those old cities are not made for cars. The same problem in Amsterdam (The Venice of the north). The city counsel is removing the cars from the city now more and more and gives it back to pedestrians and cyclists. The best solution I think when you will preserve those cities.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh this brought back so many wonderful memories Sharon, Venice is astounding. I remember coming back to our hotel in the square after a day walking, the cafes were full even though the water level was up, they would be used to it but we certainly weren't ☺ I'm so glad that I got to visit all these marvelous places before my fear of flying set in ☺

Judy Ryer said...

Such a beautiful place. I hope the city will survive. You are so lucky to have been able to visit.

RedPat said...

I watched a movie on PBS last night about Peggy Guggenheim and they were showing her museum in the last part of the film and I was wondering how it is surviving in the high waters. It was a great film.

William Kendall said...

I'd love to see Venice someday. Beautiful shots.

Catalyst said...

It looks like a pretty city but one can't help but worry about what will happen to it with climate change.