Sunday, October 21, 2018

Searching for Frank


This post is a trip into the past in more ways than one.  First of all, the photos date back to 1998 and are scanned from prints (sorry about the graininess).  The other element of the past are these homes which date back to 1895.  Back when I was working in Chicago, some friends and I made a trip out to Oak Park to see the street of Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes.

We began our day by attending a church service at Unity Temple in Oak Park, the Frank Lloyd Wright designed church that still operates and holds services.  Unfortunately, I couldn't locate any photos I'd taken there but you can get a look at it by clicking here.

After the service we headed over to Forest Avenue to see the houses.  The one pictured above is the Nathan G Moore House and it was originally built in 1895 but, was damaged by fire and in 1922 FLW redesigned it.  It sits sideways on the lot so it was impossible to photograph directly from the front.


This is the Arthur B. Heurtley House.  It dates back to 1902.  


This last one is the Frank Thomas House dating to 1901 and it is believed to be Frank Lloyd Wright's first "Prairie Design" for a home.  This one is my all time favorite.  I'd love to see inside.  All of these are private homes so visitors can only see them from the outside.  The only home that is open is the one that was actually Frank Lloyd Wright's home when he lived in Oak Park.  I don't have a photo of that one either but, you can see it by clicking here.

There are many more homes along this street.  I think I need to make another trip to Chicago and make a point of visiting here again.  


3 comments:

biebkriebels said...

I like this so much, I have been there in 2007 on a "Frank Lloyd Wright" travel through the States. We started in Chicago and visited Oak Park, the Unity Temple and inside his Home an Studio building.The Thomas House I remember too. I have made scrapbooks with photos of my travel and looked it up. Sweet memories.

William Kendall said...

These are beauties.

Catalyst said...

Great specimens of "the great man's" work.