Sunday, March 25, 2018

Photos at Dawn


On a visit to Chicago, a friend asked me if I wanted to go with him on an early morning photo shoot to capture "The Bean" at dawn.  Even though the night before had been a late one, I jumped at the chance.  That's my friend getting set up for one of his shots.


The city early in the morning looks lovely in varying shades of blue.  And, there is the added benefit of no crowds.  For a city known for hustle and bustle, it was refreshingly quiet.






























I was able to get some interesting shots of Anish Kapoor's beautiful "Cloud Gate" and enjoy it's reflective qualities in a totally different light. Taking this photo from the east side looking west, I can see the light from the sun as it nears the horizon.


Taking the photo from west looking east, I get a wonderful reflection of all those buildings along Michigan Avenue.  My friend and I had it all to ourselves for a little while but, gradually other early morning risers were starting to show up.

6 comments:

biebkriebels said...

What a great find to go so early. I have been there too with a group travel tour. We had one person that did the same as you, when we arrived at breakfast in the hotel in the morning, he came in from the outside and had made a phototour on his own already!

Thérèse said...

I love this place even if I haven't been there yet... but all our friends and our kids send us pictures from time to time of their reflection in this very attractive "bean".
Great pictures.

Judy Ryer said...

Awesome shots!

William Kendall said...

Well worth getting up that early to catch that sculpture without a crowd!

Lowell said...

I'm in awe! Those last two, especially are gorgeous. That thing wasn't in Chicago when I lived there but the downtown area was always enticing. In the mid-50s, while in college, we'd go downtown and watch a movie which included a show of some sort. I remember we saw Rudy Vallee, Rosemary Clooney, etc. And many of the theaters had huge pipe organs.

Karl said...

Great pictures, Sharon !