Sunday, December 3, 2017

London, the Chocolate Mecca


I never thought of London as a place to source good chocolate but, while I was planning my last trip there I watched a television show highlighting all the exquisite chocolate shops that are available in London.  I took full notice.  In fact, I got a pencil and paper and started taking notes.



 One of the chocolatiers featured on the show was William Curley, a young Scottish fellow who has made quite a name for himself in the world of pastry and chocolate.  Unfortunately, the chocolate shop featured on the show had closed before my trip there but his chocolates were available from Harrods so I made a point of stopping there to pick up a box.  They were just as advertised, silky and delicious.




 Next on the list of purveyors of chocolate was a place called Rococo Chocolates.  This was another store that was prominently featured on the show I watched with the host raving about the creations of the owner, Chantal Coady.  Her shop in Belgravia was  pure delight to shop in.


I selected the colorful pieces above from the dazzling variety available and I'll be happy to report that they were as tasty as they look.


On past trips to London, I always picked up a special treat at the chocolate counter of Fortnum and Masons, one of my favorite places to shop in London.  This last trip was no exception.



I selected a box of beautifully decorated chocolates that were as yummy as they were pleasing to look at.


Another shop that was featured on the show was called SAID, a branch of a long established chocolate shop from Rome.


I stopped in to this shop and found myself surrounded by chocolate molds and mounds of chocolate truffles and buttons.  I walked out with a pistachio covered chocolate bar that was a sheer delight.



On the day of my departure from London, I packed all my wonderful chocolate treats in my suitcase and headed to Heathrow to catch my flight.  You might think my chocolate shopping spree had come to an end but there I was faced with row after row of airport "duty free" shops and with some room still left in my carry-on bag, I bought an elegantly packaged box of dark chocolate mint thins by the distinguished chocolate maker Charbonnel et Walker.

Who knew that London was such a mecca for the "food of the gods"?  I'm glad I learned that lesson.

6 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

You really don't mind paying through the nose for chocolate, to me there is little different between an expecive bar and a cheap one though I draw the line with a Hurshey bar, sorry but it's rubbish compared to Cadbury's

Catalyst said...

(O)!!!!!!!

Lowell said...

Dear Sharon: You know that you should not post such photographs. You know that because of these photos, people all over the world have taken off on a chocolate bing and that you are personally responsible for the huge growth of chocolate stocks on the Stock Exchange. Do you get a cut? Just asking. I'd say more, but I'm off to find some Godiva chocolate at Dillards.

William Kendall said...

I could be quite happy there!

Judy Ryer said...

I get the idea that you like chocolate. I would only be able to walk inside to take a big whiff of it. Sigh.

Lois said...

Well after seeing this, I will have to go back to London now, just for the chocolate!