Sunday, January 22, 2017

In the Footsteps of the Knights Templar


As many times as I've been to London, I had not yet visited Temple Church until this last trip.  I'm so glad I finally made it and got to walk in the footsteps of the Knights Templar.  The church was consecrated in 1185 and at that time only the round part or the nave existed.  It was known as the Round Church and it was modeled after the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.


The longer part of the church or the "chancel" was added in 1240.  In the foreground of the photo above, you will see some effigies on the floor.  Two of the effigies were of William Marshall I and his son, William Marshal II who were instrumental in the events that lead to the creation of the Magna Carta.


In a glass case in another location in the church is this statue of a 12th century knight in a regal pose.































The dome in the round part of the church is topped with beautifully fitted wood planks and surrounded by windows to show off it's rich, auburn color.


Because of damages during the bombings of WWII, the stained glass in the church has been replaced with 20th century glass with images that depict the long history of the church.


This panel depicts the great fire of London in 1666.  Temple Church survived that crisis making it one a few medieval churches that remain.


The rose window depicts Christ surrounded by angels.


A morning spent admiring this church was a morning well spent.  I was happy to sit for a while and 
take it all in while listening to the soothing music coming from the pipe organ.





If you visit Temple Church, check for opening times.  The church keeps odd hours that change with the seasons.  

There is a small charge for visiting the church but, it is well worth every penny to see such a storied place.  

5 comments:

Lowell said...

First of all, thanks for these beautiful photographs. You've really given us a sense of what the church is all about. It's amazing to think that it was first built so many years ago. Love the stained glass, too.

Lois said...

Oh my, it is gorgeous Sharon! Your photos are wonderful too. I love the stained glass and that pipe organ is magnificent. I will have to put this on my list of places to visit next time I go to London!

Catalyst said...

It is a beautiful structure and your photos do it proud. I wonder if that planked dome was once glass and if it, too, might have been destroyed by the bombing.

William Kendall said...

It is beautiful. I'd love to see it for myself.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Your one up on me, I've been wanting to visit that church for a long timee