Sunday, September 18, 2016

Church with the Longest Name


If it hadn't been for Mo of Fresh Eyes on London, I never would have found this wonderful old church.

The Priory Church of St. Bartholomew the Great (how's that for a long name) was established on this site in 1123.  For us Americans, that is a very, very, very long time ago.

Locals tend to call the place Great St. Bart's and given that long name it's clear why.

















Stepping inside this church is truly a huge leap back in time.  This is a historic church that clearly shows it's age.


Parts of the church were destroyed in the fourteenth century but other areas have survived even managing to avoid the fates of the great fire of London in 1666.  However, the church did fall in to disrepair for a while.




The Founder's Tomb.


































While walking around this ancient church, Mo and I discovered this talented fellow working on a charcoal drawing.  I think this photograph is my favorite of all the photos I took on this visit to London.



This church is truly a hidden gem in the London.




















5 comments:

Judy said...

Amazing! I like that last one too.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Australians are famous for shortening names Sharon, so Great St. Bart's it is :) We are such a young country compared to Europe also, it's always such a joy to walk where there is so much history. St. B's (I told you) is magnificent, I can see why you are love this last shot so much.

William Kendall said...

It's a beauty inside and out!

Catalyst said...

Churchy, I'm not, but I love to visit old churches. Here in Arizona we have San Xavier del Bac to awe us, though, not as much as St. Bart's.

Jack said...

Nice, isn't it? I like finding lesser known and more modest places like this. The big, fancy, gold-plated ones have a "wow" factor, but the more modest ones have an "oh, isn't this one nice" character.