Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Home of Polo


Last fall I had a post on my Phoenix Daily Photo site about attending a polo match in Scottsdale.  It was a fun match but, it can't compare to attending a match in the home of polo, Argentina.

A few years ago on a trip to Argentina, I had an opportunity to attend a match at Campo Argentino del Polo, the huge polo grounds located in the heart of Buenos Aires.

This handsome statue greets visitors as they enter.















The polo grounds have been located in this spot since 1918 and they can seat 30,000 people.  


The grounds have been the home since 1928 to the Campeonato Argentino Abrieto de Polo, the most important polo event in the world.  The event is described as the international championship event at the polo club level.  


I'm not sure who won this match I attended.  The fact is, I knew very little about polo at the time I went and have only recently learned a tiny bit more.  What I do know for sure is that it was a fantastic experience to watch this majestic game in the most important polo spot in the world.

4 comments:

Lowell said...

That must have been great fun. I've never been to a polo match although there is a large polo grounds and stadium down in The Villages.

William Kendall said...

I like the sculpture. I've never seen a game- the rules might baffle me!

Catalyst said...

I wonder if they ever hit the ball into the crowds. Or lose control of their mallet(?) and it flies into the crowd. Looks like a dangerous sport to me.

Julie Ferguson said...

I have never been to a polo match. It looks like fun.