Sunday, July 12, 2015

Going on Safari


As I sit here to write this post, I can look up above my computer and see this wonderful face staring down at my from my office wall.  I loved this photo so much that I had it enlarged to 16X20 and matted and framed and it now hangs above my desk.  He has such and engaging face, it's hard to believe he could be so fierce.


This post is about my visit a few years ago to Safari Park in Escondido California, an extension of the San Diego Zoo network.  Only this place is like no zoo you've ever seen before.  It's huge, over 1800 acres of rolling hills the look very much like the African savanna.  Of course, I've never been to the African savanna but judging from photos I've seen, this place looks pretty darn close.


They have over 300 species of African and Asian animals all living in very large, natural-like compounds where they have room to roam and get plenty of exercise.


The facility has tram rides that take you through these far away places so that you can get a good look at the animals and they can get a good look at you.  In fact, I think this guy was saying "hey, are you taking my picture?"


In addition to the animals, there are many species of birds.  Some of them live in the compounds out in the open like these beautiful flamingos.


Others live in large aviaries where guests can walk through and get a closer look.  The lorikeet even land on your hands or arms if you offer them the food they love so much.  This was the first time I'd seen a lorikeet.  They really are the most colorful birds I've ever seen.

If you are interested in visiting Safari Park, you can check their web site for more information.  They offer a large variety of tours and safari experiences.  They even have an overnight camp stay that mimics some of the real African safari camps.  I'd love to do that one day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful images, the lion is truly spectacular looking!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

The 'king of the jungle' shot is fabulous Sharon, the animals look well cared for, lots of space to do their thing! Love the lorikeets, love to see them when they visit my feeders.

Judy said...

All nice shots! Looks like a fun place to visit.

Lowell said...

I really love the lion shot! I can see why you framed and hanged it. What a great place this is. I've never heard of it, but if I ever get out that way, I'm going to look it up!

Birdman said...

I agree. Nice kitty. I wouldn't want to test him in the wild or at this preserve. Nice kitty!

Catalyst said...

We visited there many years ago. Great place.

That giraffe is saying "Are you lookin' at me? Are ya?"

William Kendall said...

These are beautiful animals, Sharon!

Jack said...

I think I was at this safari park about thirty years ago, but I completely forgot about it until seeing your post tonight. It looks more like African animals in San Diego than any part of Africa I have seen so far.