Sunday, January 25, 2015

Finding hidden gems...


I've probably mentioned this before but, one of my favorite things to do when I travel is to walk and explore new places.  I've found so many beautiful and sometimes unusual things just taking a long walk.  Last August when I was in Laguna Beach California, I walked from the beach to the hillside exploring the community.

One of the places I found is the Laguna Presbyterian Church located at Forest Avenue and 2nd Street.    The Spanish-Colonial architecture of the church fits in perfectly with the Southern California environment but, on this occasion I discovered the charming atmosphere of a hidden courtyard behind the church.




The area reached from one street to another with arches and plants and rustic benches along the way.





Another gem of this church that might go unnoticed by most tourists in the area, is the rose garden located on one side of the church.  The vast array of beautiful roses blooming in this little area enticed me to stay awhile and enjoy the gorgeous blooms.  There is a sample of them below.













































It was a good place to stop and smell the roses and then explore the beautiful architecture of the buildings that surround the garden and that is exactly what I did.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous looking place to sit and admire the surroundings!

Mersad said...

That is an amazing place.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Lowell said...

What a delightful structure and sight. It's been many years since we moved from L.A., but I still miss it! These are superb photos, too, Sharon. Your photos are always excellent which makes going tripping with you a real pleasure!

Thérèse said...

Quite a delightful place!

Judy said...

Pretty place!

William Kendall said...

When one thinks of a Presbyterian church, Spanish Colonial architecture is not the first thing that comes to mind in terms of style!

Catalyst said...

A meditation garden, for sure.

Julie Ferguson said...

Wonderful garden to just sit and reflect in.