Monday, June 9, 2014

Ghost Town


Just on the other side of the Arizona mining town of Bisbee is what is left of another mining town called Lowell.  At one time, Lowell was a sizable mining town but much of the town was consumed be the excavation of the Lavender Pit mine during the 1950's.


What is left of the town sits right on the edge of this working pit.

When I was there a few years ago, I was the only person wandering the empty streets and looking into the empty shop windows.  













My favorite building was this old Texaco station with it's green trim and antique gas pumps.  


And just up the hill from the gas station sat this yellow taxi from the Broken Spoke Taxi Cab Company.  The only information that I could find about it is that there is a Broken Spoke Saloon somewhere in the west whose owner lives in Bisbee.  No explanation as to why this car sits here except to encourage photographers like me.

7 comments:

Andy said...

These builds look like they are still in good shape and ready for some occupants.

Thérèse said...

I particularly like the geologicals formations beautiful shown in picture Nr 2.
An updated ghost town due to your blog :-)

Judy said...

All nice pictures. I have also wandered around that lonely town.

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderfully intact!

Catalyst said...

Fascinating. I can remember when Jerome looked very like this.

Julie Ferguson said...

I was just there earlier this year. I felt like I went back in time with all the nostalgic cars and gas pumps along the street. My friend and I had breakfast at the cafe and it was delicious.

LOLfromPasa said...

I love Bisbee. Had a super lunch there in a hotel. Wonder if that is still there. Arizona is such a wonderful State.